Thursday, September 11, 2014

Me, My Blog, and I

If this were the beginning of a movie, you would see a montage of scenes from my life with some kind of a cheerful soundtrack playing. Unfortunately, this isn't a movie, and I don't have the technological genius to put something like that together. So, my dear readers, you'll just have to use your imaginations for now. Sit back, relax, and welcome to the life of Claire!

I was born two months prematurely at 4 pounds, 4 ounces. I had to stay in the hospital for an extra week because the doctors worried my lungs weren't developing. I was also incredibly tiny. That is no longer the case. I'm about 5'10 now and the tallest of the four sisters, but (hopefully) not still growing.

Speaking of sisters, I happen to have three: Bissy, Annemarie, and Maddie (Things 1, 3, and 4 respectively). Bissy is 19 and a sophomore at Rice University in Houston, Texas. She's quirky, lively, and way too well-rounded. She's currently the quarterback on her Powder Puff football team, she plays water polo, she's in choir, and she's also an expert at tango, swing dance, and is currently taking Advanced Two-Stepping. Annemarie is 15 and a sophmore here at Uni. People often confuse us from behind because we share the same mane of curly, bushy, brown hair. She's feisty, sporty, and can do anything. She runs cross-country and track, swims, and is most definitely a biking enthusiast. She also plays the French horn, and she's in choir. She's the sister that I'm closest in age to, and my partner in crime. Last but not least, Maddie is my youngest sister. She only has one volume (very loud), never stops talking, and loves to cheer for us although she has a million and one talents of her own. She runs cross-country, swims, sings in a choir, and loves baking, art, and doing weird things to her hair.

When I was younger, I was never in Pee-Wee soccer, basketball, t-ball, or any other ball sport. Being klutzy on land, my parents decided that a sport in the water would be best for me. Since diving was out (the whole klutzy thing), they put me on the Indian Acres swim team. When I was 8 I joined my club team and I've been swimming year-round ever since.  Although it means forever chlorine-damaged hair, dry, lizard-like skin, and constant blisters on my hands from weightlifting, I love it. This is why you may see me walking to school with soaking wet hair, trying to balance at least four bags along with my breakfast. The answer is simple: morning practice.

When I was in seventh grade, Annemarie introduced me to my only land sport: running. I joined the cross-country team that year, and I was horrible. I was always in the back of the pack, and I hated working hard. All I wanted to do was run with my friends and gossip. The big excitement of my season was getting under 20 minutes in the two mile race. But in eighth grade I started working harder, and I learned how to put my long legs to use. I still have my IESA State sweatshirt from the year. When I came to Uni, I joined the track team my sophomore year and loved it! Two miles was just a bit too long for me, so I run distances that are in the middle (like the 400 and 800 as well as the relays). I've been trying to run longer distances just for fun, and I hope to train for my first half marathon this spring!

And that's me. At least the me that I have to put on college applications, the overview. But just for kicks, here are some other totally random facts about me that you don't get with my basic summary... I like sushi, but I refuse to eat it with vegetables of any sort inside. I have two dogs, Molly and Nora. At one point in my life I had an incredibly unflattering bowl haircut. One of my favorite foods is plain white rice. It is impossible for me to take a nap, no matter how tired I am. I can stand any type of music but country. Over the past two summers I've gone to France and England. I play the euphonium (it looks like a little tuba) because when I was in fourth grade, my mom told me that all of the cute boys played that instrument (she was wrong). I got my license a month after my 17th birthday. I ride all the kiddie rides at amusement parks. I once set something on fire while trying to cook. My favorite subject is French but my accent sounds like an American tourist. I went to Catholic school for nine years. I got into Uni as a transfer freshman year. I can't stand Starbursts.

And that's that, everyone!





5 comments:

  1. Claire, I loved this post! You did a great job describing your family and I was just imaging you saying all this to me in a conversation-- your tone/voice in this post was enjoyable. I loved how you began your blog post with all your sisters and then slowly dwindled the topic down and focused on you and what you love to do the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun first post, Claire! I feel like I really got to know you, as well as getting an introduction to your sisters. (I would add one talent to Bissy's list, though: She's an excellent interpreter of poetry, as I learned when she was in my Poetry class : ) Your header picture is adorable. I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire, there was so much to love here!
    J'adore le français aussi et ton accent n'est pas assez mal comme tu crois! Je t'adorons (et ta famille)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this post Claire! It's nice that you introduced us to yourself in a conversational tone. Also, it was fun and engaging to read, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a cute first post! I learned so much about you that I didn't know before (I didn't know your favorite subject was French!). I love your header photo, and I can't wait to read more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete